Monday, October 29, 2007

Felted Landscape

Well, here is my first piece of felt! It was created with the wet felting technique, and is still drying, but I couldn't resist taking a picture right away. I think it needs some embellishing, but that will have to wait while I finish some other things first.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

three finished projects

I'm on a roll trying to finish up some projects that I've been working on simultaneously, and these three are finished (for now anyway).

First is the book cover that I started when I was writing up my Artistic Free-motion online class. I've added the pockets inside to hold a book and bound it, so it's just waiting for a book to be placed inside.

Next is the art quilt landscape - first project for the art quilt class that I'm taking with Jane LaFazio at I've added my hand stitching, and also went back and shaded the trees again to add more depth.

Last is a felt flower design for the same art quilt class. I'm not sure I'm making a quilt out of it - maybe a wall hanging, but it will be finished once I decide. At least all the cutting, layout, and embroidery are done!

Friday, October 19, 2007

harvest landscape

This weekend there is a quilt show at a winery nearby. I have to admit that I had plenty of notice, and made rough sketches for it over a month ago, but ended up rushing to finish in time, because of all the other things that I have going on right now. At least I was able to try out some new techniques, and the design made it out of the sketchbook and ready to hang. Of course, there are things I'd do differently next time, but I do believe I did the best I could with the time I had to make it.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

free-motion trees

I received some questions about how my trees were created, so I thought you might like to see another picture that I took before I washed out the stabilizer. The how-to instruction below is a copy of what I had posted in the art quilt class that I'm taking. One thing I forgot to mention, is that you need to make sure that you have the threads locking with others (you can stitch a grid in the area you will embroider to help hold it together).

My trees were free motion embroidered on Romeo, which is a super heavy weight water soluble stabilizer. I drew what I thought I'd like with a sharpie on the stabilizer, and then hooped the stabilizer and stitched with lots of thread, changing the colors from darkest to lightest. It's kind of like scribbling with colored pencils to fill them in, except you're holding a hoop and stitching with the machine. The trees were still on the stabilizer in the photo that I posted, so today they had a nice bath in very warm water to wash it out, and now they're drying. Once they're dry, I'll take another photo with them on top of the quilt, but I'm seriously considering cutting it into two sections, putting the two trees that are close together towards one side and the other tree on the other (but opposite of the way they are now). They are not wide enough to fit all the way across (would have when I was going to do the quilt in a portrait format), and I think they will cover the valley between the hills if I don't cut it. Anyway, I'll find out when it's dry.

Friday, October 12, 2007

Landscape mini quilt

This is another of the projects I'm simultaneously working on. It's homework for the art quilt class with Jane Fazio at joggles. I haven't made much progress on this landscape in the last few days, although I did get the trees sewn down. I tried adding beads to the tree on the left, but they were too large and I ripped them back off. I've pulled out some embroidery threads to add some french knots and maybe some other stitches. At this time, I'm unsure if I'll add hand stitching along the mountain / hill crests. I'm also considering adding shading with markers, all purpose ink or paint. Maybe if I let it rest a few days I'll be able to make a decision.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

quilted book cover progress

While I was finishing up my class lessons, I wanted to have a trapunto sample. Another thing I wanted to have time for was making a book cover with a piece of my sun printed fabrics that has been hanging around my sewing room. So, here is my combination project! The large leaf is actually a trapunto leaf, and there is both a layer of batting and fast to fuse between the top and back. It is in colors that I normally wouldn't use for leaves and landscape, but that was what my fabric dictated I do. The cover still needs to be assembled and edges finished, but I'm making progress. The lessons are now finished and sent, so now it is time to do some of my regular chores caught up so that I can get back and finish this book cover.