Thursday, August 28, 2008
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Above is a picture of one side of the carved blocks (they are resting on my drying board, since they were still wet from rinsing, and below is the other side.
My yellow journal pages had already been colored with watercolor paints, which I had pressed plastic wrap into. After it was mostly dry, and the color would stay put, the plastic wrap was removed so that it could finish drying. I woner what I have that could be used to finish the page?
Monday, August 18, 2008
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Monday, August 11, 2008
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
My lace is dry, and as you can see, it looks much different than it did on the stabilizer. It has also done a bit of shrinking, as I knew it would.
The waves have much more dimension with the lacy waves laid in place, and they have been pinned down, until I get them stitched. My plan is to only attach them along the top edges, leaving the lower edges free, and the lowermost wave will have it's edge folded out of the way when the edges are being finished. Right now, I think I'll face the edges, leaving the quilted back showing, and nice clean edges on the front, because I think that a traditional binding would be out of place on this quilt.
As soon as I get a chance, I'll do some free hand cutting and free motion lace so that you can see how they were created. It probably won't happen until next week, as the APNQ Quiltfest is this week, and preview night is tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm also installing the new software that was needed to continue creating my website.
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
However, there's more to come, and I've made some free motion lace on water soluble stabilizer to add to the waves. Another layer, more depth...
The stabilizer has been washed out, and the lace is drying, and then I'll place it on top and see if I still like the idea. I'm still thinking of adding some hand embroidery stitches and beads, but only time will tell.
Sunday, August 03, 2008
Saturday, August 02, 2008
Sometimes I roughly cut strips of fabric, then made a wavy cut across the doubled fabric. If one strip was longer than the other, I clipped into the longer one at the top of the shorter one. After removing the extra, overlapping fabric, the strips were flipped right sides together and carefully stitched. The stitching is slower than straight seams, as you need to keep matching up the fabric edges, but I just try to keep gently aligning them as I sew, and stopping when necessary. The seams in this quilt were almost all pressed towards the darker fabric, but if I was to cut deeper curves, I'd press in the direction that the seam wanted to go.
After quite a few strips were together, I laid it out and stood back to see where I needed to add more, or adjust the color. Wherever I wanted to insert another strip, I made a wavy cut. Since there are now two cuts that need another fabric inserted between, the wavy strip was just laid on top of the fabric that I wanted to insert, and I carefully cut along the raw edge to match it. Once that new seam was sewn, the new strip was placed under the remaining wavy cut, and another matching cut was made.