Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thank you

No pictures to post today, but I want to say thank you to everyone who has left a comment. Amazingly, all have been compliments on my work, especially the beaded projects from the Sumptuous Surfaces class. I've tried responding to them, but most bounced, and I was told by others that it usually doesn't work and I need to respond on my blog, so again THANK YOU!

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sumptuous Surfaces seashore finsihed

Originally, I had wanted to have more variety of stitches in this piece, and the whipped spiderweb sea stars just proved to be impossible (for me anyway) on top of the cheesecloth that I started with. Since I wanted the scrunched texture, the needle would catch as I worked, and many things were ripped out along the way, making me change plans and stitches used. Even though bouillons and cast on stitches were problems for me in the past (and in some places here - due again to cheese cloth), I found that if I worked them in the more open areas, before the other stitches were added, and used the right needle, I eventually got the hang of them. Many of the threads used in this project were hand-dyed by me in varigated sea colors. Of course, there are things I wish I had done differently, but in the end I'm happy with it.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Butterfly collage

Earlier this summer I primed several pieces of canvas and clayboard with gesso so they would be ready and waiting for me. So yesterday I worked on this collage in between everything else, and was able to finish it this morning. The canvases are 5x7" and are hinged together so they are free-standing on my table. I thought about adding more layers but decided not to, as my husband liked it as is. The Images are from ARTchix Studio.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sumptuous Surfaces - shoreline

Last night I had a little time to work on my class project, and decided to get started. As I was going through my stash these fabrics were the ones that attracted me for the beach idea I had sketched out (so the grapes will stay in the sketchbook for now). The base is a 32 count linen, while the teal and white are cheesecloth. The teal cheesecloth is crinkly from being dyed, but the white is smooth and flat because it is new, and I've already manipulated the weave into a more holey texture in preparation for embroidery. At first I tried using the scroll stitch for the outline, but kept catching the raw edges of the cheesecloth, so ended up using a twisted chain stitch instead.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Sumptuous Surfaces - new idea sketches

In between everything else I have going on right now, I did manage to create two rough sketches while riding in the car. While at first I thought about creating a water stichery to go with the shell, now I think maybe I should do a bunch of grapes. When translated to fabric and stitching they would come out different from the sketch, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one to pursue first. Let me know what you think.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sumptuous Surface shell FINISHED!

Well, I stitched in the car, and then I started adding beads, beads, and more beads. Tonight I really wanted to finish it, so I just kept going until it was finished (about 5 minutes ago)! My legs were stiff when I went to stand, because I had sat in the same position for so long. (When I'm close to finishing something, I like to keep going until it's done.) Maybe some will say I should have left it more open, but I'm happy with the way it came out.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Sumptuous Surfaces - the fabric

I was asked what fabric I'm working on, and thought I'd answer here, just in case others are wondering. The fabric is a dark cream colored linen, and I want to say 28 count, but am not really sure since it was pulled from my stash.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sumptuous Surface more progress

Even though I haven't had much time at home to work on my class project, I have managed to move forward making a pulled thread area, buttonhole wheels, whipped spider's wheels, buttons and metal rings attached with woven bars. I still would like to add some suffolk puffs, and then I think I'll start filling in the rest with french knots, cast-on loops and other smaller stitches.