Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Weaving - largest project I've attempted!

I'm designing, and weaving some fabric that will cover acoustic panels.  I guess I should really say that I'm altering a M's and O's kitchen towel pattern from Handwoven magazine - widening the design and using boucle threads, that wouldn't usually be used for this type of weave (because my husband likes the texture).  So far, I've woven a test piece that is large enough to cover one of the smaller panels.
After washing, the fabric feels wonderful, but the fabric blends into it too much, even though the colors work.  Weaving with thread colors is almost like mixing paint colors, with the weaving pattern letting more or less of the different thread colors show.  So far, we like the pattern, but the colors need to have more contrast with the wall.  

To save some time, I made the first warp a half yard longer than I needed, so that I would be able to tie the next warp onto it.  You can see the remainder of the first warp threads tied loosely in front of the reed, and the next test warp hanging in front of the loom, ready to be tied on.  This time I'm using one of the original colors, and the rest are lighter or darker than I used in the first sample.

Making Progress

Sorry I've been away from my blog for a while.  I've been working, and taking some pictures, but very behind in posting....  I'm trying to make up for it with this l-o-n-g post, containing quite a few pictures:-)

I've made progress one the purplish mitts, even though I only work on them while waiting or on road trips:

I've begun working on the Oatmeal Cardigan from Spin-Off Magazine (I think it's in the Winter 2009 issue), although I'm using Cascade 220, instead of handspun.  I did spin for the sweater, but chose the wrong kind of wool, and it's not as soft as I wanted to knit the sweater with, so will be repurposed into something else (eventually).  I've started twice, two different sizes, same size needles, and am still pondering whether to knit the smaller one (my preference right now), since the other is huge on my arm, or to try again on smaller needles (I'll probably continue on the smaller one).

Last year, I diligently collected the patterns and instructions for the Snowbound BOM from Bunny Hill Designs and tried to start, but life got in the way and I had to set it aside.  So..... I'm diligently working on it whenever I have time to just sit and work while watching TV, and I'm making good progress, with many blocks appliquéd, more in progress, and others prepped and ready to work on.  Let's start with my portable appliqué basket containing the prepped blocks:

Here are the blocks - so far:


My Madrona quilt is now hanging in the Madrona Digital showroom!