Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Baking

There's been lots of cookie baking going on around here, and then making trays and delivering them.  This year my friend Ellen came over to help, and of course, she went home with some too, as I could never have made as many without her help!  The dining table was covered with kitchen towels for a larger cookie cooling area, and the bins at the end of the table grew, as the baking continued.  Many of the recipes are the same 
ones that my mom and grandma used, and a couple were my great-grandmothers! 


For frosted sugar cookies, I love the "Old Fashioned Vanilla Sugar Cookies" recipe, from Sugarbakers' Cookie Cutter Cookbook.  They don't just look beautiful, they taste great too!


Coffee Chips are an unusual cookie recipe that I got from my grandmother. Luckily I saw her make them, and remembered to ask for the recipe, because I've received many compliments on them!


This year, I made my great-grandmother's sugar cookie recipe with margarine, and the touchy batter was even more difficult to roll out, so they are a bit thicker than they should be, but taste good anyways.


Thumbprints are a family favorite, and my family has always filled them with frosting after baking, instead of jam, as many recipes say to do.


Some of the open cookie bins:


Happy Holidays!!!

1 comment:

Delighted Hands said...

Wow, incredible cookies; I especiallly like the leaf cookie!

Have a great Holiday weekend!