Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Mt. Ranier - Journal Artwork

My husband is a much better photographer than I am, but his pictures are his end product, while mine are mostly inspiration for some kind of art.  While I took less pictures at Mt. Ranier National Park than he did, I had brought my journal and some art materials to try working outside, with the supplies I brought.  We travel by car, so of course, I brought too much stuff to really carry, but was able to pick different supplies from a larger bag in the car for each hike or project, which was nice and I learned a lot!

Working in my smaller, 5" x 7" watercolor journal, these wild daisies were sketched lightly in pencil, then watercolor was added, finishing with my black artist marker.  


The daisies I was painting:


While we were by the lake, I attempted a charcoal sketch of Mt. Ranier.  I guess it's not bad, considering it's the first time I've worked with charcoal.


One of the pictures I took from that location:


Things I learned:

  • It really is best to travel light.
  • Make sure to take a few graphite pencils for sketching.
  • Charcoal is messy, take wet wipes to clean up.
  • Trying to stand and hold everything while painting is a pain - need to find a solution.


Wish list:

  • Easel, or at least a drawing board.
  • Something to sit on - lightweight stool?
  • Backpack that is more accessible for my supplies.

1 comment:

Delighted Hands said...

I sketch in my dreams.....I loved the movie about Beatrice Potter because of her quiet walks, imagination and her ability to draw. Nice work on your art.