Monday, June 29, 2009

Instant garden - well almost....


Just yesterday morning this area was empty, except for weeds, and the large herbs on the left!

With all the different things we're trying to juggle this year, much of what is usually a vegetable garden is still full of weeds or overgrown oregano, as it has taken over the strawberry beds! My husband did manage to till two of the beds, but one still has grass that needs to be dug out, before it can be planted. Lucky for me, we have a local garden center, which still had lovely large plants, so I could "pretend" that I had grown them from seeds as usual, but instead, quickly weeded, fertilized, and planted some tomatos, peppers, cucumber and watermelon plants, then added mulch to keep in the moisture as much as possible - it also looks nicer than dirt. In the past, melons have not always done well, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will end up with at least a few to eat.

Right now it may look like I could have put in more plants, but for the first time, I did not over plant the space! When I begin with seeds, I always end up cramming all the ones that sprout and grow into the space, and then later in the season, can hardly get in to harvest the fruits of my labor.

No comments: