Sunday, September 11, 2011

Quilt, then paint - progress!

My fat quarter quilts now have color added!  Since I'm experimenting, I've treated each a bit differently.  For the sunflowers, I mixed fabric paints with Decolorant and used a sponge roller to work it into the surface, mostly from the top to about 3/ 4 of the way down, blending it out as I went.  I didn't want the  same colors at the bottom, and wasn't sure I liked it, because the bottom was lighter than I wanted it to be.  I mixed and diluted some Dye-na-flow fabric paints and brushed it onto the flowers in vases, leaving some areas a bit lighter, and darkening the mix so that I could make some areas even darker.  Since I liked the color, I decided to go back to the sunflowers and use the Dye-na-Flow to darken the light areas that needed it.  Here's where they stand right now, although I haven't pressed them yet, and when I do, the sunflowers should do some color changing with steam, because the Decolorant will be activated, which will lighten up the fabric color while setting the paint. 


3 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Wow! Amazing technique for powerful results!

Cindie Kitchin eweniquely ewe said...

The dyeing is very fun! But look at that machine quilting - wow!

Quilting Mafia said...

They are very beautiful, thank you so much for sharing and inspiring me and many others.