One of my readers asked about my construction methods for the Madrona quilt - did I use a freezer paper pattern. The short answer is no, but it is mostly because of the size of it. I'll have to go into more detail in another post, however here is a quilt that I found I had forgotten to blog, that I did use freezer paper to construct the borders. When I looked for it's picture, it seems it wasn't blogged because I only had fuzzy pictures, and I have remedied that by taking some new ones:-)
The center panel, and all the fabrics were either hand painted by me with Pebeo fabric paints, or hand dyed with Procion MX dyes. The first thing I did was pin the center panel up on the wall and measure it, and then I tore two pieces of freezer paper that were longer than the quilt's size in either direction to allow for sewing together and squaring up. Each piece was divided lengthwise, then pinned around the quilt, and then the wavy lines were roughly sketched in place.
One strip was cut out to work with at a time and divided into sections when needed(offset from one another). The freezer paper was pressed to the front of the fabric, and then it was trimmed, leaving about 1/4" seam allowance. The seam allowance of the applique pieces that were to be on top was glue basted to the wrong side, and then the pieces were glue basted together. Once I had a couple rows complete, I began stitching the sections together with a tiny blind hem stitch.
A flange of folded fabric was basted in place around the panel and then the border was added. For the side panels, I made a clean cut on the side that was to be sewn to the panel, and then stitched them on and trimmed them to the same length as the panel, and then repeated with the upper and lower panels. I decided to do a free hand cut outer edge, and then a traditional binding and sleeve to finish it up.
Close up of the sun:
Here's a close up of the water:
And a close up of the sky: