Friday, March 25, 2011

How about a quilt-a-long?


I've been flipping through a stack of books from Martingale, and pulled out two of the Stack the Deck books by Karla Alexander.  I really love her books!

Book review:  The blocks in "Stack the Deck Revisited" are cut and pieced like crazy quilts, but many go beyond, making the crazy piecing only part of a more refined block, or set with other pieces and colored to make them into a very artistic quilt.  When other shapes added, you will end up with a quilt that I imagine will have many asking "how did you do that?"  The color washed quilts like Summer Solstice, Figs and Ginger, and the Scrappy Crazy Quilt Sampler are my favorites, but Goin' Green isn't far behind.  The stack the deck technique is easy and it's always fun to see how the blocks come out!

Yes, some of you may remember that I already have two projects from her books in progress, waiting to be finished, but they are larger projects, but I'm still collecting more fabrics for them (I've decided to enlarge them to Queen and King sizes).  My husband thinks making new quilts for our boy's twin beds has a higher priority, so I have a great excuse to start a new project, and thought some of you might like to quilt along with me!  If you do, I'd love to see your progress and quilt, and if you post it on your blog, I'd love to add a link to it from mine, so that everyone could see your version too!


The first quilt is going to be made from the "Figs and Ginger" pattern that is on p. 42, in "Stack the Deck Revisited", and I'm thinking that it might be fun to make a second that is a mirror image of the first, because I could put the mirror image quilt on the bed to the right of the first, and the diagonal stripes would move up and towards the center, towards the nightstand between the beds.

I usually take my time choosing fabrics, and will start with my fabric stash, hoping to find enough for two quilts (just in case I want to make the second, mirror image one coordinate with the first).  Since the fabrics wouldn't have to bee identical, just the same color families, and you only need 1/ 3 yard of most of the fabrics,  I think I might be able to find all of them right here at home!  Well, off to hunt for fabric!!!

No comments: