Monday, June 28, 2010

Handwoven Scarves

The scarves from my first hand-dyed warp are finished! They are both so different that it is hard to believe they came from the same warp, and I love the way they came out!!!

The warp is 5/2 pearl cotton that I dyed with Procion-MX at a class at Weaving Works in Seattle, the weft is Webs 10/2 bamboo in a medium olive green.


For the other scarf, I tried the 8-shaft Wall of Troy draft posted on Weaving a Life's Blog, and will definitely try it again, because it gave the scarf a more complex look and when the light hits it the right way, it looks iridescent!



I thought you might like a close-up shot of the woven pattern...



Next on the loom (currently being threaded through the reed), is the Rayon warp that I hand-dyed at the same class for the twill scarf article, "Twill and Tencel for a line of luxury scarves" in the September / October 2009 Handwoven magazine (p. 46). There is one threading diagram, with four different tie-up and treadling plans, so I'll do at least a tiny bit of sampling before I start weaving.





2 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

No way do they look like the same warp! Just so irridescent-stunning!

Lynn Majidimehr said...

I've seen others weave one warp different ways, but I had to see it to believe it myself!