Sunday, July 19, 2009
The Bali Bag that went astray....
I've been saving a magazine that had a bag shaped like this, only smaller. However, when I was in Sisters, OR for the Quilter's Affair classes and Sisters Quilt Show, I saw the Bali Bags pattern at the Stitchinpost, as well as the Bali Pops packages of 2-1/2" strips, and purchased them.
It started out looking just like the pattern, and I had a nice, flat bottom created, but when I started up the sides it was a different story. I know it's because I didn't hold the bag exactly upright, but by the time I had realized what I had done, there was no way I was going to rip, and besides, I like this shape - as a matter of fact, it resembles the one from the magazine, and will be put into use as soon as it is finished. I decided to use all 40 fabric strips, reserving about three to make the closure flap, that was made just like the bag bottom (only smaller, and maybe a bit longer - I didn't measure, just went by eye). It will have a vintage button that was also purchased on the trip, and I'm thinking about using a pair of brown leather handles from my stash, although I wish they were shoulder bag length. Now as soon as I get to the store to purchase some strong upolstery thread, I'll be able to sew the button and handles on (I'm thinking velcro will be going under the flap, and will have to make a decision when I get to the store).